Connecting & Creating Community
BACKBONES exists to help people with spinal cord injury or disease (SCI/D) and their families connect with their communities. We do that by creating events and experiences that promote awareness and engage people of all abilities.
A Board That Makes A Difference
BACKBONES relies on a strong, supportive Board to fulfill our goals and mission. The board assists with sharing our mission, governing, fundraising, outreach, and raising awareness for those living with SCI/D and their loved ones.
- Stay informed about issues confronting the organization, including financial, political, and legal.
- Regularly attend Board meetings (via phone or video conferencing), other Board functions, and special events.
- Prepare for meetings by reading financial statements, minutes, and reports.
- Participate in organizational decision-making and strategic planning.
- Accept assignments and complete tasks competently and punctually.
- Start conversations about your involvement on social media and personal networks.
- Actively participate in fundraising (personal contribution, solicitation, special event, or grant writing).
- Create successful events by: hosting, attending, inviting contacts, and promoting our events.
- Represent the organization in the community.
Make an impact with a team of highly motivated individuals and understand what it takes to run a successful organization and build consensus.
Gain valuable perspectives by engaging with people from diverse backgrounds. Develop new skills you may not have an opportunity to develop at your job.
Build your professional network and interact with other like-minded individuals